Empathy: (noun) The ability to understand and share the feelings of another.
As my years wear on in my chosen profession, I’ve found my empathy waning... not uncommon in the ER. My excuses, along with those of my co-workers, is that it is a defense mechanism. We put up walls to protect our emotions (and our sanity), hoping to survive another day in the trenches.
Unfortunately, being LESS empathetic has done the exact opposite for my love of my job. There is a distinct difference between my career and my job, and I have felt that gap widening over the last several years. Why? Why do I love being a nurse, but hate pulling up to the ER 3 day a week? Over the years, I’ve told myself that being emotionally invested (having empathy) in my job will lead to burnout much more quickly, when perhaps the opposite is true.
I dole out empathy like it’s a finite resource, scared that my empathy-well will run dry, and I will be left anxiety-ridden and filled with anger when it’s tapped out. So I guard it; hoard it. I reserve it for the “important” people in my life.
Perhaps it is time to view empathy exactly as it is... an emotion that brings us closer to those around us, a bridge to find common ground, a connection to help us identify with those vastly different than us. Most importantly, empathy is not a finite resource, it never runs dry. If we start spreading it around, we might find it comes back to us tenfold...
#empathy #nurselife #emergencynursing #trauma #crisis #RN #buildingbridges #understanding #itsoktofeel
𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐞 /𝐤ɛː/(𝐧𝐨𝐮𝐧) - the provision of what is necessary for the health, welfare, maintenance, and protection of someone or something. How can be simple definition for something that is so complex??🤔
• Care may and may not be connected with love. People can love a particular flavor of cake, without "caring about" the flavor. And people can "care about the outcome of some event" without loving anything about it at all.
• They are not synonymous, but not entirely different either.
• Love is a strong feeling of affection. This is a feeling that you cannot forget. It’s empathic agenda. Sometimes the feeling is very intense that you can’t control. Love is usually involuntary. It is not something that an individual forces, but something that happens naturally. Love is not about being blind to some imperfections but rather accepting those imperfections as part of the whole person’s package.
• Care denote warmth, affection, and concern. You won’t wish anything bad for the people you care. You would always be wanting to help them whenever they need you. Caring of another is when you do with affection and concern with humble gratitude. In a certain way you do love them when you care for them.
• So, although love and care are different, they are very much related to one another.
• Love can start as first, and be the last and ultimate announcement of care. It is trust, affection, compassion, worth, adoration and most of all a feeling of wanting to be together. Care can be understood as concern, attraction, fascination or liking that is displayed towards someone. If you do not care for anyone, then you are not capable of loving also. Love is the strength which teaches optimism, sacrifice, patience and most of all it teaches us to appreciate and respect other people. To be fair to them, be affectionate to them. Care is an vehenment feeling that comes within the body of a person, if you love someone you naturally start caring for that person in all aspects, you try to keep that person always safe, secure and contented, you care what happens to them, you want them to be happy and you want to be truly someone they could count on for everything.
~Little sequel in comment
Ya girl is Still #STANDING
. Oh this Peace! Oh this Favor! Oh this Grace! Oh this Mercy! Oh this Protection! I have #Surpasses
ALL and I mean ALL-LAH of my lil’ ole #Understanding
“I’ve been through the 🔥 and came out without a trace of 💨” #CarolineInspires
“I ain’t wore this dress since my photo shoot on April 22, 2016...and I’m still in love with it 😍” Bennett #NoFilter
today 🤗 #NostrilsWide #HipsWide
💙♥️💛 ☝🏿 ANY COLOR I WEAR WILL ALWAYS AND I MEAN ALWAYS WINNNN‼️ But this BLUE that I have! Say the world didn’t give it to me and they can’t take it away 💃🏿