Follow for more #jiujitsu
In this epic showdown, Richie “Boogeyman” Martinez from #10thplanet
finished the legendary “Gracie Killer”, Kazushi Sakuraba of Pride fame, with one of his signature #submissions
The D’Arce finish came from an interesting sequence. But in this video, we’ll focus on one finishing detail — how to get your arm all the way through?
Many people struggle by simply driving their shoulder deep. That’s not what Richie does.
Here’s the breakdown —
1. From a sidemount with low hips, crossface, and overhook, Richie pulls Sakuraba toward his waist.
2. To pull him in, his hips need to make space for Sakuraba’s head without giving him room to shrimp, open his shoulder, or turn.
3. He does this by making a “pillow”. His cross facing arm pulls and stays under Sakuraba’s head. He brings his upper leg to rest alongside the head and body of Sakura.
4. As his overhooking arm reaches for the D’Arce, his other hand pulls Sakuraba’s head all the way over his D’Arce hand and upper knee. To make it happen, he pops his hips over Sakuraba to bring Sakuraba’s head toward his waist. This allows him to lean over Sakuraba and adjust his arm to reach through. From there, the pull BRINGS Sakuraba’s head TO the Darce hand. 🗝
5. At that point, he has D’Arce control and is able to slightly slide away to lock his arms and lower his head past Sakuraba’s shoulder to fully secure the position and finish. He also re-inserts his lower leg into a quarter guard to pin Sakuraba’s leg and prevent movement.
There’s a lot of technique, and Richie made it look effortless! Sakuraba is older, but he’s squirrelly to the core, and Richie’s tight technique left him no chance.
Respect to @saku39ks
for taking this fight after a legendary career.
Huge props to @boogeyman_tfs
for this amazing showdown with a legend.
#10thplanet #10thplanetjiujitsu #10thplanetfreaks #kazushisakuraba #jiu #bjj #jits #submissiongrappling #10thplanetsandiego #jujitsu #jiujitsulifestyle #jiujitsu4life #darcechoke #submissiononly #submissionwrestling #gracie