This is a throwback breakfast cooked for me by a very sweet friend. She made a healthy-style French Toast using Ezekiel sprouted bread. Ezekiel or sprouted bread is a much healthier option than most other breads.
So, why are sprouted grains healthier?
Many grains, legumes and nuts contain ‘antinutrients’ which are compounds that bind to minerals and make them unusable by the body. So although whole grains DO have nutrients in them, the presence of antinutrients means it is very possible that you’re not actually absorbing many of the vitamins and minerals.
Sprouting and fermenting foods, especially grains and legumes, greatly increases their nutrient content and makes them more easily digestible and deactivates antinutrients.
(Back to the photo)...I’ll admit the ginormous dollops of peanut/coconut butter are not exactly slimming 🤭
…but it tasted so good…and I don’t have that every day! 🤷🏼♀️
You can be as virtuous as you like - this recipe has no sugar, is very low in saturated fat and is high in protein (due to the sprouted bread and eggs). The toppings are your choice!
(Banana, flaxseed, a little maple, strawberries and sliced almonds pictured).
TAG A FRIEND who might like this. -
And don’t forget to TAG ME in any of your creations! 📷 I’d love to see them. 🤩
Here’s the recipe:
📝 (for 2 people)
- 4 free-range eggs
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp milk of choice
- 4 slices sprouted bread - brands such as @everfreshnaturalfoods
- 2 tsp coconut oil - for greasing the frying pan
- Mix eggs, cinnamon and milk together in a bowl.
- Heat the coconut oil gently in a large frying pan.
- Lay the bread in the egg mixture to soak for a few moments. Place into the frying pan and cook on each side until golden brown.
- 🍯 You might like to drizzle with some honey or maple syrup, add fruits, nut butter, cacao nibs...whatever you like.
#sunshinenutritionlondon #ezekielbread #frenchtoast #brunch #recipeoftheday #healthyrecipes #vegetarian #nutritionist #nutrition #fitfam #postworkout #protein #sprouting #eggs #sugarfree